midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
TCI
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

big boy speedway
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Blast From The Past
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJS20x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: big boy speedway Reply with quote

what ever happened to big boy speedway in dyersburg? went there once and helped a friend with his mini stock.
4everblue

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBg Boy, or Dyersburg as I'll always refer to it went back to being a bean field Sad
In it's original configuration and management under Monte Warne it was, in my opinion the beat racetrack anywhere, anytime. A super well run track with a consistent racy surface that provided constant three, four and five wide racing. Packed stands and overflowing pits. Changes in management brought alterations to the banking and racing surface, neither of which did anything but screw up the closeness of the racing Rolling Eyes

Everything was eventually torn down and the track plowed over. The stands, if I'm not mistaken made their way up to the track in Poplar Bluff.

Dyersburg was so good and so successful in the beginning it was cloned across the river in the form of Caruthersville Speedway, which unfortunately met the exact same fate in being plowed over. Most of the stuff there ended up at Malden Speedway.

Last edited by 4everblue on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
AJS20x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a shame. i really lliked both of those tracks. being a former drag racer, i remember drivin by d'burg on the way home from great river road raceway and seein the place packed.
Cooper91g

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4everblue wrote:
DBg Boy, or Dyersburg as I'll always refer to it went back to being a bean field Sad
In it's original configuration and management under Monte Warne it was, in my opinion the beat racetrack anywhere, anytime. A super well run track with a consistent racy surface that provided constant three, four and five wide racing. Packed stands and overflowing pits. Changes in management brought alterations to the banking and racing surface, neither of which did anything but screw up the closeness of the racing Rolling Eyes

Everything was eventually torn down and the track plowed over. The stands, if I'm not mistaken made their way up to the track in Poplar Bluff.

Dyersburg was so good and so successful in the beginning it was cloned across the river in the form of Caruthersville Speedway, which unfortunately met the exact same fate in being plowed over. Most of the stuff there ended up at Malden Speedway.

Me and my dad used to go to Dyersburg every weekend when I was about 12-15. We would get there no later than 4pm JUST to get a seat on the top row of the bleachers!! I would not leave my seat cause I was scared somebody would get it Laughing Laughing The stands would be PACKED every week and there would be 100 people standing up watching the races!!! I remember 3 classes and like 30 something cars starting the street feature Laughing Laughing and also a consi every week in street on top of the 30 something cars in the feature!!! I wish Monte would get the fever to open another track around here!!

I raced there like 3 times right before it closed for the last time. I been having to drive at least 55 miles one way to race every since Evil or Very Mad (starting 8th year now)

When I started we had Dyersburg, Atwood, Milan, Malden, Bargerton, Garnertown, Camden, and MMP all within 100 miles of Dyersburg, now we just have Atwood, Malden, and Camden. Two friday night tracks and one Sat. track unless you really like to drive more than 2 hours every week to race.
David Cooper - #83 Mustang hobby car

Cooper91g

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I probably wasn't but bout 11 or 12 but we were in the pits at Caruthersville and I forgot and thought we were at Dburg Laughing Laughing They looked A LOT a like from the pits anyway LOL

I think it was there that the water truck driver used to turn some pretty quick laps in that big ole water truck Laughing Laughing Laughing He would be sideways all the way around the corner LOL

4everblue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, Pritchett could really haul that water truck around:)

NOBODY had car counts like Caruthersville....NOBODY. I remember one Sunday, I think it was in 1990, they had 77....SEVENTY SEVEN street stocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember one Sunday a couple of guys from up around Farmington showing up with street stocks with wind Laughing Laughing Laughing shields. They left after about two hot laps.
1R mini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most fun I ever had racing was at dyersburg one night,the one night I had the motor running right,car set up right and flying around the top,till i crashed anyway Laughing
djSNUFFY

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is in '98

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=16&X=1373&Y=19957&W=3&qs=%7cDyersburg%7ctn%7c
Cannon-Newman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man that was a fun track. i remember going there when i was 4 and 5 years old to watch my cousins race. we was actually heading to malden a few months ago and he said it sure would be nice to just be going to dyersburg. the good days
Cooper91g

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say its bout time for a new track somewhere between Dburg and Caruthersville Idea or somewhere between Covington and Union City! Cool

JamieHall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dyersburg's opening around '86 is what pretty much shut down the track in Sikeston, Mo., in '87. They lost all their cars to Dyersburg, even though the Dyersburg track was probably getting 125-150 total cars every week.

Caruthersville opened a couple of years later and eventually built huge car counts too (they started out on Fridays, then went to Sundays).

I'm not sure C-ville ever got bigger car counts than Dyersburg for weekly shows, did they?
4everblue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caruthersville used to draw a ton of street stocks. I remember one Sunday they had seventy seven (77) !!!
MRT-3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran Street Stocks at both tracks and remember the huge car counts. I remember at Caruthersville they broke us into two classes decided by raising your hand for slow or fast.
JamieHall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went by the Caruthersville site last year for the first time in probably 15 years -- it's completely flat now with no sign of the track. I was hoping there would at least be a little banking left, or maybe a light pole. I had a lot of good (and not-so-good) memories at that place.
Les#4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea if bigboy was still there I could drive my race car to the track instead of putting it on a trailer. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Blast From The Past All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: