midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
TCI
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

Thank You Racers, Fans and Crew

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Shelton
Short Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Thank You Racers, Fans and Crew Reply with quote

Not sure where to even start.

First, I want to thank Johnny Stokes and Dewitt Singleton for believing in my idea to change the format for the Magnolia State Cotton Pickin' 100. Won't lie that I was a nervous wreck leading up to the event, because I didn't want to do anything to tarnish the combined 27-year history of the storied event. The end result was one of our most successful events we've ever had. This happened because of all of the awesome racers and fans that supported the event despite the questionable weather.

We went from 42 Super Late Models in 2017 to 62 this year. Needless to say the new format is here to stay. We were up over 50 cars overall on the weekend from last year with more than 170 drivers taking part. For that I say, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I also want to thank each and every racer and crew person, who busted their butts all weekend to keep up with our rushed schedule. I know it was insanity but everyone worked wide open to keep up with the rapid fire program we had.

I can't say enough about our fans, who turned out in droves despite a quite crappy forecast. I'm proud that we've been able to show them over the years that we will do anything and everything we can to overcome Mother Nature's curve balls.

Last, but not least I want to say THANK YOU to the Magnolia Motor Speedway staff who poured their hearts and souls into the weekend. I know I can be pretty high-strung and intense when it comes to making sure these shows go off as smoothly as possible. I had to laugh at how many folks from our staff came by and told me that "they knew the weekend must've been a total success because I was actually smiling after the races last night."...lol. Again sorry for sometimes being such a hardass.

Missed my partner in crime Ross Tingle this weekend, but I'm just thankful that one of my heroes is on the mend, and will be back stronger than ever.

Totally exhausted today, but just wanted to send a heartfelt thanks out to everyone who supported us this weekend.

- Ben
NorthAlabama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good show for sure. With the date (most tracks closed), big boys elsewhere (for their series, points, $$$$$), lower main event pay out for the winner (big boys want more money to show up), allowed the mid tier cars a chance to race with hopes of a better chance to win. It was a trade off, no big names showed but more regional better name cars showed. With fewer people in the stands but with two nights instead of one, making more money off of the drivers and fans...... Will this be the future allowing the LO and the WoO to keep the big names? Now catering a middle tier show for a change? And allowing the SAS and MSCCS to fill the lower end tier?.....
Ben Shelton
Short Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could've paid $30k-to-win and we wouldn't have had anymore national names due to the scheduling of the weekend.

Strong words to say we had no national names with McDowell, Moyer, and Overton there. Last year for $20k we only had the addition of Marlar and Davenport from the national scene, but with both on national tours this year, there was no chance of getting them.

Also, for what it's worth the grandstand attendance was up almost 30% for the weekend over last year.

- Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: