midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
TCI
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

Track Closures 2018
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Late_Model_Mark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Track Closures 2018 Reply with quote

There was a post a while back about track closures, in 2018, here are some that I know about, a real bummer.

Winchester-TN.
Hilltop-OH.
Randolf County-MO.
Jackson County-OH
Deerfield Spwy-OH.
West Georgia-GA.
Skyline Raceway Park-NY.
Diamond Mountain-CA.
New Albany-GA.
Frozen Ocean-NY.
Speedway 250-OH.
Cocopah Speedway-AZ.
Moulton-AL.

I would guess there are more.

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer
vandy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winchester, TN closure is q pure shame. Been around since the 50's and always been successful. As was it this year. Good car and fan count especially when running Supers weekly. Owner sold to a group who bought it just to shut it down because of noise and dust. Hate it!
JoeDirt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about many of these tracks since I live in Texas, but down here tracks are failing too. In my opinion it has more to do with tracks running seven or eight classes a night with only a handful of cars in most of them. It's hard for tracks to be successful when the show they put on sucks.
hummer fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pevely ran the usac sprints last night ran b-mods and a-mods as support classes had over 20 in each show was over by 11 with taking a hour to repair the fence that a sprint car took down. Thet didnt kill the show with to many classes well done.
NOT A CHEVY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Corinth track did not run supers & still closed due to favoritism B__S__
The area is NOT economically depressed. The fans & drivers are split between Baldwyn & North Alabama. It is less than 45 minutes from Corinth to either track. Both tracks seem to be doing well each week.
It's a choice based on what side of town you live on & if you want to see
3/8 mile track DURANCE-LAYNE rules racing (604 & 602 late models)
OR
1/4 mile track make your own rules racing (602 only)resembles Corinth more.
racingnut35

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can all state the fact that SLM running weekly at any track is a thing of the past. Really sad. I have been saying for years and will continue to do so that most tracks have too many classes. Whats really bothersome is that some of the classes look the same. Two and sometimes three classes of street cars and 602 sportsman/crate models just to state a few that look alike to the average fan. When a track puts on a big SLM show then thats what brings out the fans in masses then the track wants to add big races for all the other classes too on the same night. Most of the fans don't care to see all of that. They paid their hard earned money to watch the SLMs. If an owner wants to try to bring in new fans then a good way to kill it from the get go is to host a big event then have all the support classes running too. And no I'm not talking about four classes being too many, only when they're running six and seven classes. I've been involved in racing in some sort or another in most of my 52 years in asphalt and dirt racing and have seen it all from watching a new track open to seeing another close.
Late_Model_Mark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Late Model racing is not, repeat not, a thing of the past at Talladega Short Track. We run 'em weekly as usual. We may be the exception to the rule in the Southeast, but we run those cars.

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer...home of "weekly" Super Late Model racing.
Late_Model_Mark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing, let me add to this post. TST as averaged right at 18 Supers over the course of 20 events run weekly not counting the Ice Bowl. There has been 2 nights with a light car count and a couple with 45, 42, and 33 cars. Not too bad for a track that one poster said was a thing of the past.

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer Exclamation
Late_Model_Mark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing, let me add to this post. TST as averaged right at 18 Supers over the course of 20 events run weekly not counting the Ice Bowl. There has been 2 nights with a light car count and a couple with 45, 42, and 33 cars. Not too bad for a track that one poster said was a thing of the past.

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer Exclamation
JamieHall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Track Closures 2018 Reply with quote

Late_Model_Mark wrote:
There was a post a while back about track closures, in 2018, here are some that I know about, a real bummer.

Winchester-TN.
Hilltop-OH.
Randolf County-MO.
Jackson County-OH
Deerfield Spwy-OH.
West Georgia-GA.
Skyline Raceway Park-NY.
Diamond Mountain-CA.
New Albany-GA.
Frozen Ocean-NY.
Speedway 250-OH.
Cocopah Speedway-AZ.
Moulton-AL.

Add Paducah (KY) to that list. That track lasted about 2 months earlier this year with a new promoter and then shut down. Seemed like the promoter was really trying hard to get people in the stands but just didn't work out.
racingnut35

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late_Model_Mark wrote:
Super Late Model racing is not, repeat not, a thing of the past at Talladega Short Track. We run 'em weekly as usual. We may be the exception to the rule in the Southeast, but we run those cars.

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer...home of "weekly" Super Late Model racing.
Maybe not at TST but tell me how many tracks host SLMs weekly? Back years ago most tracks did but most don't now so thats why I said weekly SLM shows are a thing of the past. You can tell me how many tracks host them weekly and I can tell you how many don't and the numbers that don't host them is staggering.
watchemgofast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Late_Model_Mark"]Super Late Model racing is not, repeat not, a thing of the past at Talladega Short Track. We run 'em weekly as usual. We may be the exception to the rule in the Southeast, but we run those cars.

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer...home of "weekly" Super Late Model racing.[/quote

Not every track can be as bad azz as TST Wink Very Happy
SMARTT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Winchester / Talladega Reply with quote

I own a business in seeing distance of the Marina that bought Winchester. I have been involved in racing there for the last 30 years. It has been said by shutting the track down was a success for the city of Winchester. That's the words of most transplant people who never understood us racers to start with. But have a flat or car trouble and see who stops to give you a hand. It will not be a transplant. I hope they want to buy a boat storage business because I have little desire to even come to Winchester anymore.
Now on a good note Talladega is by far the best racetrack in the south in my opinion.. We are treated like racers every time we go and not like we should bow down and kiss the owners ass for giving us a place to race like my other local track. Always have good racing surface and keeps the show rolling. Wish it wasn't 140 miles away or I would be there on a weekly basis.
Late_Model_Mark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What raised my eybrows racingnut 35 was your statement.

You posted, we can all state the fact that SLM running at "ANY" track is a thing of the past, correct right? Just my view, but that assessment is not correct.

Of course there is no denial that the numbers have dwindled dramatically in the last 15 years.

However, I say, do some homework before you state an absolute. There still some areas that run 'em. In my brief 54 years of racing that has given me so much joy thru out this country, I, we, us, have seen the changes.

Come to TST sometime on me and we will show you how we roll and survive bucking the trend.

Late Model Mark
floater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE CRATES HAVE BECOME ABOUT AS FAST AS THE SUPERS .AND NOW THE LATE MODEL SPORTSMAN LATE MODELS ARE JUST ABOUT AS FAST AS THE CRATES .THEY ALL THREE LOOK THE SAME . LONG LIVE DIRT RACING IN ANY FORM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: