midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
TCI
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

Mexican Steel company lays off US workers out of spite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Mexican Steel company lays off US workers out of spite Reply with quote

DEACERO a steel manufacturer in Mexico bought Mid Continent Steel and Wire in 2012. The company began importing 70% of it's raw steel from where do you guess? Mexico.

Now that President Trump has slapped a tariff on imported steel it seems that the steel company which sold over 4.5 tons of steel product around the world. Decided that they needed to lay off US workers.

They do not seem to be laying off workers from their 15 steel processing plants in Mexico. Which you would expect if sales were hitting the skids as they claim.

Since the company is selling it's own steel to itself there should not be an issue with profitability even with the tariffs. So why would they want to fire only US workers??????
Porkchop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got to this part-"the steel company which sold over 4.5 tons of steel product around the world" and decided you have screwed up that part, because I'm not worried about enough steel to fill up nine Ford F-150 pickups, so at least provide a link, and no I aint gonna Google it! Do your own work! Rolling Eyes
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porkchop wrote:
Well I got to this part-"the steel company which sold over 4.5 tons of steel product around the world" and decided you have screwed up that part, because I'm not worried about enough steel to fill up nine Ford F-150 pickups, so at least provide a link, and no I aint gonna Google it! Do your own work! Rolling Eyes

Excuse me i left out the world million in the post. 4.5 MILLION tons. EXCUSED THE OMISSION.

70% of the steel used at the Nail and Wire company comes from the parent company. So they chose to lay off workers due to the company having to pay the tariff. THEY WERE SELLING STEEL TO THEMSELVES. So instead of making a lesser profit they chose to cut production and DECREASE their profits even more.
JamieHall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Steel company lays off US workers out of spite Reply with quote

NeverTrustAMidget wrote:
So why would they want to fire only US workers??????

Gosh, surely it isn't because Trump has gone out of his way to repeatedly insult Mexico, its leadership and its citizens. I can't imagine they'd be bothered by that. Rolling Eyes

Trump is so stupid that he doesn't realize his words will (and have) come back to bite him in his saggy orange arse.
PV=nRT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Steel company lays off US workers out of spite Reply with quote

JamieHall wrote:
NeverTrustAMidget wrote:

Gosh, surely it isn't because Trump has gone out of his way to repeatedly insult Mexico, its leadership and its citizens. I can't imagine they'd be bothered by that. Rolling Eyes

Trump is so stupid that he doesn't realize his words will (and have) come back to bite him in his saggy orange arse.

LOL that you actually had to spell this out for him.
PsychoTrack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should the US be bothered about the steel and other metals that Mexico sells to itself? Isn't that exactly what the US is trying to do for any products that we produce? How many of you are aware that the vehicle made in the US that is comprised of the most materials and labor originated here is the Honda Odyssey mini-van? Check it out. You'll also find that many of the foreign nameplate vehicles are almost all predominately or completely made in the US. I think that's a good thing. Don't you?

And the investigations continue,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican Steel company lays off US workers out of spite Reply with quote

JamieHall wrote:
NeverTrustAMidget wrote:

So you are running a manufacturing plant and your cost goes up so what do you do? Do you lay off workers at your home manufacturing plant to reduce cost? No you lay off workers at a foreign based plant you own which BUYS your materials and cost yourself a customer. Odds are that plant is already getting steel at reduced prices compared to what you sell to others. It is all under the same fiscal umbrella, you just move cost form one company to another. So now they sell fewer nails so less profit there and they have lower sales to the nail company so less profit from the steel mills.

They rather make NO MONEY instead of making a lower profit.
PsychoTrack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am completely amazed at the number of idiots that we have in these steel mill arguments that simply refuse to understand that the American mills operated in technologies from the 1910's and 20's and refused to upgrade to more efficient and profitable manufacturing practices available to them. There is no way for the American mills to compete in the metals markets of today without those upgrades. Even Japan, whose labor rates are above the labor rates in this country, could put us to shame even without having any natural resources to manufacture metals products cheaper than we can because they have far superior manufacturing techniques. The USA took it's own self out of the metals businesses.

And the investigations continue,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: