midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
Comp Newsletter
Comp Newsletter
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

BRING RIVERSIDE BACK (suggestions)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychoTrack wrote:
I would like to thank those who have taken these suggestions seriously and are hopefully going to continue the conversations. I would like to point out, however, that in the case of Riverside and the alderman that has made it his purpose in life to shut Riverside down is absolutely NOT TRUE. That particular alderman has no power whatsoever to shut anything down and he is NOT wanting to shut Riverside down. He does, however, ask that Riverside show more respect for the people that live close by and their grievances. When has anyone ever reached out to that alderman or the Riverside neighbors? I suspect it's been a long time but more probably never. And if you continue the status quo it will remain in it's adversarial state of being forever. Getting some of those neighbors involved, whether it might be in the grandstands, the pits or even in the cars, will go a long way in healing old wounds. We'll see.

The last alderman's meeting they had before he retired many of the Riverside Supporters there heard him say that he does not want a white sport in a black community. It was even quoted in the paper. How you can say he has not tried to close the track is beyond belief.

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/10642571/west-memphis-residents-fed-up-with-racetrack-noise

But West Memphis Alderman Herman Coleman says he hasn't noticed any changes.

"I live probably three miles away and I can hear those vehicles here at my house," he said. "So, I don't know about mufflers. I can't believe they have mufflers."

Coleman says neighbors have signed a petition to close the speedway, and he has presented those signatures to the city council.

So in your mind presenting a petition to his fellow aldermen to close down the track is not attempting to close down the track???? You have spent too many years drinking out of the Obama, Clinton and Pelosi trough
PsychoTrack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I checked, last night, Riverside was still open. I've owned 4 businesses outright, midge. I've endured complaints about all of them for one thing or another. My purpose was to keep my businesses open, prosperous and peaceful. There are some that just will not be satisfied. I had to always be aware of that and to take whatever measures I needed to ensure my own successes. That's always the way businesses operate. I did not waste my time with idiots like that alderman. I spent my time and concerns with people that really mattered and that I could count on to help me in my endeavors.
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychoTrack wrote:
The last time I checked, last night, Riverside was still open. I've owned 4 businesses outright, midge. I've endured complaints about all of them for one thing or another. My purpose was to keep my businesses open, prosperous and peaceful. There are some that just will not be satisfied. I had to always be aware of that and to take whatever measures I needed to ensure my own successes. That's always the way businesses operate. I did not waste my time with idiots like that alderman. I spent my time and concerns with people that really mattered and that I could count on to help me in my endeavors.

None of this has anything to do with your statement that Alderman Coleman did NOT want to close the track. As the documented evidence showed he DID want and did try to close the track.
PsychoTrack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously that alderman had no power to shut Riverside down but he did want attention. I was the most regular patron of the Delta Bowl. There were some that tried to shut them down. The Delta Bowl failed several times. It did not fail as any result of the neighbors crying about it. The first part of solving problems is to understand just what the problems are. In all of my businesses I kept a close watch on all of that every day.
GoDaddyRacing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all could START by using the search function of this forum and READ some of the suggestions in the other 714 posts on this subject, rather than opening it up again.
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoDaddyRacing wrote:
Y'all could START by using the search function of this forum and READ some of the suggestions in the other 714 posts on this subject, rather than opening it up again.

Technically true if all the OP wanted was suggestions.

While i cannot speak as to the motive of the OP due to not knowing him personally.

I can only assume that part of the purpose was to get the issue back into the public eye. That cannot be done by viewing archived post.
WickerBill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: No problem with product? Reply with quote

Midget,

You said earlier there is no problem with the on track product. I disagree completely. It's boring! I can't hardly go anymore because everytime I do, I wind up wondering why I am there about an hour in. Get some banking back in the track, to start with. And remember this is a night of entertainment for your non-regulars. There are a million simple things to do to make people have more fun, but from what I see that's not even a priority. Get Clayton off the mic. Someone else said that and they are right. From my perspective Clayton isn't worried about anything but making as much as he can "TONIGHT" with no thought of how to get people to come back. The show is just plain pitiful. Go somewhere else and watch races and you will understand. You asked for opinions and there is mine. That and a $1 bill might get you a Coca-Cola somewhere!
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: No problem with product? Reply with quote

WickerBill wrote:
Midget,

You said earlier there is no problem with the on track product. I disagree completely. It's boring! I can't hardly go anymore because everytime I do, I wind up wondering why I am there about an hour in. Get some banking back in the track, to start with. And remember this is a night of entertainment for your non-regulars. There are a million simple things to do to make people have more fun, but from what I see that's not even a priority. Get Clayton off the mic. Someone else said that and they are right. From my perspective Clayton isn't worried about anything but making as much as he can "TONIGHT" with no thought of how to get people to come back. The show is just plain pitiful. Go somewhere else and watch races and you will understand. You asked for opinions and there is mine. That and a $1 bill might get you a Coca-Cola somewhere!

What i mean is for the most part the car counts are healthy. Except for the 600 there is constantly 2 and sometimes 3 heats in most of the classes. The back gate helps offset the lack of general admission tickets.
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if you want to change the actual racing there is one thing you can do which will create more action. The drivers will not like it but the fans will love it.

Do away with the passing points and go to a formula which will put the top cars in the back of the heats each week. Making them fight their way to the front in the heats. Then you line up the feature based on where you finish in your heat.

As o stated the drivers will not like it, but the fans will love watching the fast cars each week come through the pack in order to get the best starting position they can in the feature. Some nights they may not make it to the front in the heats so they will end up starting mid pack in feature and they will then have to drive hard in the feature to get tot he front.
shortstroke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have not used passing points all year been rolling the dice and using the inversion of the first three rolls you are little behind MIDGET which has helped the racing
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortstroke wrote:
They have not used passing points all year been rolling the dice and using the inversion of the first three rolls you are little behind MIDGET which has helped the racing

OK a dozen lashes with a wet noodle on that one.

But they still draw for heat line up which mean the guy first in points is capable of drawing front row for heat while the guy 2nd could end up tail end due to draw..

Which mean one can take off from pole and check out while the other has to go through entire field. And with three heats if he does not get up to 2nd at the finish he would not be involved in the die toss.

Drawing for heat line up will more often than not favor one driver in points race over the other.
JoeDirt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverTrustAMidget wrote:
Now if you want to change the actual racing there is one thing you can do which will create more action. The drivers will not like it but the fans will love it.

Do away with the passing points and go to a formula which will put the top cars in the back of the heats each week. Making them fight their way to the front in the heats. Then you line up the feature based on where you finish in your heat.

As o stated the drivers will not like it, but the fans will love watching the fast cars each week come through the pack in order to get the best starting position they can in the feature. Some nights they may not make it to the front in the heats so they will end up starting mid pack in feature and they will then have to drive hard in the feature to get tot he front.
'

This is the very reason why the racing is so much better at the Knoxville Nationals than at a regular WoO show. They run time trials, then invert the top 8 in speed. Everything is based on a total point system. It's very difficult for even the best driver to set fast time, win his heat, and the feature too on your qualifying night. David Gravel did it this year and it was the first time in 25 years that someone had done this. It was a heckuva show just watching him, but the racing was great throughout the field. And the heat racing was very good. I've never seen a WoO show or ASCS show that didn't have boring heats.
Green13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: 2 cents Reply with quote

Since there are a few decent suggestions in here, I'm gonna drop my 2 cents in the hat. Is my suggestion the 'magic potion' that revives Riverside...no, it is but one piece, but I think an important one.
For those of you who have been going to Riverside for longer than 20 years, you know exactly what I mean when I say 'put some water on the dang track'
Am I beating a dead horse, maybe. I hear some of today's drivers don't like a heavy gumbo track. So what? WHO is there to be entertained- THE FANS, not the drivers. You a driver- DRIVE buttercup.
When was the last time anyone saw a pack of youngsters scrambling all over the bleachers, gathering up gumbo clods??? They CAN'T...the gumbo doesn't make it into the stands any more...heck, it just barely makes it onto the tearoffs..maybe tearoffs aren't needed any more...but I promise you, those youngsters are desperately needed.
JoeDirt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 cents Reply with quote

Green13 wrote:
Since there are a few decent suggestions in here, I'm gonna drop my 2 cents in the hat. Is my suggestion the 'magic potion' that revives Riverside...no, it is but one piece, but I think an important one.
For those of you who have been going to Riverside for longer than 20 years, you know exactly what I mean when I say 'put some water on the dang track'
Am I beating a dead horse, maybe. I hear some of today's drivers don't like a heavy gumbo track. So what? WHO is there to be entertained- THE FANS, not the drivers. You a driver- DRIVE buttercup.
When was the last time anyone saw a pack of youngsters scrambling all over the bleachers, gathering up gumbo clods??? They CAN'T...the gumbo doesn't make it into the stands any more...heck, it just barely makes it onto the tearoffs..maybe tearoffs aren't needed any more...but I promise you, those youngsters are desperately needed.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! Good post Green13
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me say it is GREAT to see this thread stay so positive and not break down as so many have in the past. Lots of positive input.

Full disclosure: NO ONE has been as critical of Clayton as i have since he has taken over. But i sincerely believe he deserves a pat on the back for this year.

While not perfect for the most part he has avoid the three major NO-NO's of dirt track racing.

Dust Bowls where track was so dusty that you cannot see the racers or have to wear googles to keep dust out of your eyes.

Single file follow the leader on the bottom of the track racing where you either wait for someone to slip up or have to knock them out of line to pass.

Late Nights where wreck fest and slow removal of cars and line up make the program run early into the morning hours.

Those three things can turn off fans quicker than anything.

I can remember when the East side grand stand went almost to the turn four gate. And BOTH the front and back stretch stands were cram packed each week

But those days are long gone and may never return. Times have changed, people have changed and there are just too many other options available for entertainment.

Word of mouth is no longer an effective business model any more. YOU MUST ADVERTISE.

For those who want to change things up a little. How about a little experiment.

Take a single class, i suggest the stocks. First two weeks draw for heats as they do now.

Then instead of drawing the rest of the year. You take each drivers points and divide them by the number of times they have ran that year and get an average.

Line up the heats lowest average up front and highest average to the rear. With those who are making first appearance line up in the back.

This way the top cars start in back and have to race their way to front in heats. You also have an equatable starting position for drivers who are in similar positions in the points. Instead of one drawing the pole and the next guy drawing the back row.

If it improves the racing in the stocks then later in year or the next you can explore doing it with the other classes. If it doesn't then you go back to drawing the next years for stocks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: