midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
Comp Newsletter
Comp Newsletter
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

BRING RIVERSIDE BACK (suggestions)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTT

come on folks let's hear more ideas.
JoeDirt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the tracks down here in this area are in similar shape to Riverside. We had nine of them, and I don't think that was really a good thing anyway despite D/FW being a much bigger population base.

From everything I've heard about the current state of Riverside it sounds like nothing will change unless a new owner is brought in. Seems like I remember Mr. Allen sinking a bunch of money into the place and doing some pretty nice things on the east side. Then I guess with the economic bust maybe he had no more money? I understand he's not putting any money into it now anyway. The last time I was there I sat on the west side of the track, and quite frankly it's a rat hole over there. Bad bathrooms, stands in bad shape, PA system cutting in and out. It would be much more efficient to shut down the west side, then you don't have to worry about the bathrooms or paying people to run concessions and the gate. That's just me though. Either way though, it will take a new owner with deep pockets willing to lose some of his investment to fix the place.
VJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I would have liked this to be a productive post but as usual its not enough people that really care about RIVERSIDE and that includes the owner and his crew Joe dirt AND Midget has hit the nail on the head pretty much . Tommy M can't work with anyone or will not try MR Allen lies and just uses every body up the track has gone down hill ever since he has owned it
Cooter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VJ wrote:
First of all I would have liked this to be a productive post but as usual its not enough people that really care about RIVERSIDE and that includes the owner and his crew Joe dirt AND Midget has hit the nail on the head pretty much . Tommy M can't work with anyone or will not try MR Allen lies and just uses every body up the track has gone down hill ever since he has owned it

Calling people liars and they can't work with anyone is not usually very productive either. Especially when you are seeking input from random people over the internet on how they should run their track.
flagman66

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all but some most tracks are struggling for cars therefore management chooses to baby them if they threaten to leave and then stand up and when i leave me and my buddies will leave and i gotta bunch of fans and they will leave too.simple follow the rules enforce them consistently.and if a driver threatens to leave let him or her leave .
RobbieDale

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey VJ please give Mr. Allen a call. His number is 901-508-6200.
The Maytag Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vernon don't waste your breath. Mr. Allan isn't going to listen to you or better yet to busy to even talk to you. He is a very busy man and only runs RIS as a hobby. Maybe when he gets tired of his hobby he will sell it to someone who really gives a dam.
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some ways RIS is struggling, but in some ways it is very healthy.

When it comes to car counts you have at least two very very healthy classes in Stocks and 305s. Thew Late Models and Mods are having decent numbers. The only class with any sort of issues with car counts is the 600s. And even that could be a temporary issue. They have had a number of drivers move up to 305s and other classes and have had issues replacing them.While smaller cars they are not exactly entry level cars.

The main issues is no one is in the bleachers to see the product being produced weekly.

The factors are numerous. The society we live in has change and everyone wants almost instant gratification. Every sport out there is looking for ways to shorten their games to keep fans interested.

Baseball changed their rules this year to do away with having to throw four balls in an intentional pass. They have added a clock to mound visits by someone from the bench. The lessen the time allowed to ask for a replay. And likely next year they will limit the number of times a catcher can visit the mound to talk with pitcher.

In college football they have changed the rules so the clock will continue to run on out of bounds plays except for the last 2 minutes of a half.

College basketball has changed the shot clock reset where it goes back to 20 seconds instead of the full 30 on kicked balls or fouls

We have a fan base with short attention spans and who get bored easily.

Plus we are fighting with more options for the entertainment dollar. After movies restaurants and bars. We have baseball, football and college and pro basketball. We will have professional soccer either next year or the year after.

Not just RIS. The Redbirds ran away with the PCL championship and played in the AAA championship game but played in front of a 2/5th filled stadium all year.

We have to increase our advertising budget to reach these fans and show them we have a better product for their entertainment dollar.

For sure the facilities need repairs especially on the back stretch.

But the main concern right now should be promotion of the facility has been operating since 1949 yet i would wager less than 10% of the area even knows it is operating.

No reason that more promotion of the track cannot occur. Even if it means Funneling the majority of the new customers on to the front stretch.
shortstroke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VJ you are being pretty hard on Clayton , and I will be one of the 1st to stay I don't understand some of his actions, decisions or ways of doing things. NeverTrustAMidget said Riverside is the best kept secret in the area and I believe it we hear it every day people coming in our shop and saying I didn't know that place is still open . Instead of running cars off Clayton , Robbie Dale and Tommy M need to call drivers and car owners and try to get them to come to the track .Some tracks have closed and the racers are looking for a place to race Riverside has some of the best payouts around . I been going to the track more years than most and 1st part of the year I saw some changes for the good restrooms , lighting and some other stuff We all should be happy with what we have in some ways and not so happy in other ways I don't claim to be able to fix any thing Clayton is a smart man he just needs to fine tune some stuff --------- Sonny Ray
PsychoTrack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree totally with what some here are saying. I've suggested in the past for the owners or drivers or whoever can do it to pull their open rigs around just for the exposure. And be prepared to talk to people when they come around just in curiosity. Everybody that can do it pick up some copy paper and design a poster then print them all off and then pass them out at the most strategic places that you can think of. Copy paper is pretty cheap and most folks with only limited knowledge of how their computers work will make it easy to design something good. Better yet, maybe someone from right here on this site can produce a good flyer for others to copy and print. I think both of those suggestions would be very easy and very cheap.

I know this next one might be a bit controversial with some but I've discovered that this practice is sound, profitable and works well for better community relations. I've been to a lot of tracks in Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina and even other places. Usually I look to see what the closest population centers look like. And I can assure you that if your fan base doesn't closely mirror your immediate population centers then you are failing in some way to communicate with them. I'll take one case in point. Several years ago I went to a very good track in North Carolina. You could count the number of minorities on one hand even though the track was surrounded on all sides by them. I sought out the track owner/manager and spoke with him about that. HE AGREED WITH ME. He started immediately doing outreach advertising, very easy and very cheap, and asking his car teams to begin driving around in the neighborhoods pulling their open trailers with their cars. It was slow to pick up but it WAS noticeably picking up. Over a period of about 5 years I attended that track many times. The last time I was there the audience looked very much like the population in close proximity to the track. It was about 1/3rd white, 1/3rd Hispanic and 1/3rd black. They even had a number of Asian fans. I didn't expect that. Many don't know this but this nation has a large population of Japanese and Koreans. They literally LOVE auto racing and they all seem to have plenty of money. Perfect!!!!!!!! Who can argue with that? That track owner/manager approached me one night and thanked me for pointing out something that he had never thought about while trying to pack his stands. He even gave me a lifetime pass allowing me to visit that track anytime I wanted with no charge. Although I continued to visit that track, I never used that pass. The only thing that I wished they had was the big sprint cars. Oh well. Nothing is perfect, is it?
JoeDirt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^ This is a very good point. How many people who do attend Riverside are from the surrounding neighborhoods or even from West Memphis? My guess would be that most people come from a fairly good distance away. I've found it odd that I've seen large numbers of black people that appear to be interested in drag racing, but yet I rarely see a black person at any dirt tracks. I would note that when I went to the NASCAR race at Texas in April, that my wife and I sat behind a black man who was there with his grandson. He was from the same town I live in and was a Dale Jr fan. Down several rows in front of us there was a larger group of young people and a good number of them were black. I don't see that when I go to Devils Bowl though.
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeDirt wrote:
^^^^^ This is a very good point. How many people who do attend Riverside are from the surrounding neighborhoods or even from West Memphis? My guess would be that most people come from a fairly good distance away. I've found it odd that I've seen large numbers of black people that appear to be interested in drag racing, but yet I rarely see a black person at any dirt tracks. I would note that when I went to the NASCAR race at Texas in April, that my wife and I sat behind a black man who was there with his grandson. He was from the same town I live in and was a Dale Jr fan. Down several rows in front of us there was a larger group of young people and a good number of them were black. I don't see that when I go to Devils Bowl though.

Couldn't hurt to try and win over the local community but that is another story here. Until he retired this past term we have had an activist alderman who made it his job to try and get the track shut down. His own words at one of the meetings was he did not want a white sport in a black community.

Things are as different as night and day today vs just 4 years ago and it would be an uphill struggle to even attempt to reach the local community. But it could not hurt to give it a try. You are correct there are blacks all over drag racing. A number of my former customers were blacks who were into drag or sports car racing.

We do have Otis who has been around the track since he was an early teen and has driven many years part time. And there is a group who sit just south of the flag stand for many years.

We have a family of Latinos who run there. At least two generations.

Lord knows it will be hard to find a track which has had as many female drivers over the years.

We have even had a Trans driver who has ran here in the past.

Maybe the track should use it's minority drivers as an outreach to the minority communities.

So minorities have been represented locally. Maybe not in as high numbers as the general population, but they are there.
PsychoTrack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank those who have taken these suggestions seriously and are hopefully going to continue the conversations. I would like to point out, however, that in the case of Riverside and the alderman that has made it his purpose in life to shut Riverside down is absolutely NOT TRUE. That particular alderman has no power whatsoever to shut anything down and he is NOT wanting to shut Riverside down. He does, however, ask that Riverside show more respect for the people that live close by and their grievances. When has anyone ever reached out to that alderman or the Riverside neighbors? I suspect it's been a long time but more probably never. And if you continue the status quo it will remain in it's adversarial state of being forever. Getting some of those neighbors involved, whether it might be in the grandstands, the pits or even in the cars, will go a long way in healing old wounds. We'll see.
ChtN2WiN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let's have Otis pull an open trailer around neighborhoods handing out cheap copy paper flyers to promote track. Got it. That one sounds like a real winner.
Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More drivers fighting.. that will bring people to the races. Until it starts getting late. I thought It was a full moon last night at riverside with all the fighting that was trying to happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: