midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
TCI
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

BRING RIVERSIDE BACK (suggestions)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timetravler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have thought on this subject for year and a better part of the last two months. I grew up at Riverside and I moved away several years ago and returned two years ago. Last year, went once in May, with a person who had never been to a race in her life. Track was dry and very dusty and one lane racing. We left during intermission. Her thoughts on it was "it was interesting." I think she was just being nice. Ha. I have a few ideas just to throw in here.

1. As it has already been said, get a good consistent tacky track each week.

2. Reshape the track, to me, it seems too flat for a high banked oval.

3.Personally, I would like to see infield pits again. I know the reason was to help cut down on caution time but it took away the atmosphere of Riverside being able to see the crews working and, even as a kid, we would wave to the drivers and it was cool when they would wave back.

4. Bring back the 360s. Average person may not notice times but they notice names. If 360s are brought back, 305s should go non-wing to help keep them separate from the 360s. Perhaps make the 305s B-cars. Keep Late Models (not sure if crate or other), stocks, and depending on car counts alternate Mods and 600s.

5.Shorter racing season. I suggest Labor Day weekend be the last regular season night and dates after that are for rescheduling dates that were rained out. They would be for money only and if they rain out then they rain out. This way you lessen yourself against other sports that are starting their seasons.

6. I would also suggest less race specials. It seems there are almost 2 specials a month. They increase the price and if you're 2 adults and bringing kids, it adds up quickly. Make the specials, special. Have the USCS and ASCS come once a year even if they do a two night special. Perhaps have the WOO race the week before your season opener, if possible. With that said, $12 general admission I think could go back to $10 and perhaps add .50 to beer because I'm sure that will make up the cost.

7. Speaking on concessions (though I haven't brought anything there so this only applies if this happens to be true), if there are more items on the menu other than hamburger/cheeseburger, hotdog/corndog/ nachos/bbq nachos, and popcorn (I'll even let a slice of pizza be added, who doesn't like pizza), they should be gone. I don't believe anyone is expecting more than those plus it decreases on having to keep other items stocked.

8. Now when I brought my friend, she and I sat on the west side, and yes it was questionable. There was a passing thought that I may fall through. An idea is to get a quote and have a sponsor pay for it and their logo is across the stands. Example: Get a quote and take it to Hooters. They may like the idea of having a huge "billboard" that can be seen from a satellite or from the east side. If they go for it, maybe get Hero Graphics or Truck Graphics to do the logo. You get a new stand and support local business that is involved with your track. If Hooters could sponsor the 360s and send the Hooter girls over that may bring the dads and with them come the kids.

9. Advertise has already been said but I'll throw in another idea. Contact UoM journalism/AV dept, maybe propose the idea of covering the track. The students gain experience (internship) and you may get copies of your races. And if possible broadcast them even if its PBS.

10. Being 3 am I may have some other ideas that I'm forgetting but here is one last one and it may be the oddest suggestion but if not reinstating guardrails in the infield, get a couple more tractor tires and during the stock race have a left turn coming off turn 2. They drive in the drier infield lane and right hand come out of it and then into turn 3. That should be for the feature only. Adds an interesting "road coarse" feel that I would run no more than 5 times a year and only let the drivers know at driver's meeting or after their heats.

So that's some ideas/thought/suggestions that I have.
VJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOME VERY GOOD POINTS MADE BUT NO BODY LISTENS
MemphisMissile46

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: ....... Reply with quote

There have been plenty of good things mentioned here. I'd also like to mention that if you think your track is "that bad", maybe you should visit another to compare it with. It's not always as bad as some of you make it out to be. There are plenty of good things happening but many dwell on the negatives instead. The HEAVY MUD GUMBO DITCH you all grew up with is gone. It's not coming back either. Want it to change? I've heard my whole life about how that place has never been so dry as it is now, then I found a picture of Hooker after a win in 1988 and the track was so slick and black you could see the reflection on the mud cover of the right rear wheel.

A lot of people have this vision of grandeur when talking about this track, but it seems to me there's a lot of "what I remember" instead of what really happened. I'm a crew member on a sprint team, and that track has been much racier for us lately than other tracks in this area. Go enjoy the races and go home. Or don't go and yawn about it on here. I'm glad it's still around and close to home, our other options are 2 hours(alternating weeks) or 4.5 hours north.

Ricky
Push Truck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky, you are correct about being glad it's still there....but there are legit reasons why the stands are empty, and most of the particulars have been mentioned in this thread. All I know, is I'm glad I'm old enough to have fond memories of both RIS and MMP when the stands were packed and the racing was GREAT!! To many of my friends that never missed a race have quit going for the many reasons listed. Hey, it is what it is. and I agree with your statement...if it don't work for you stay home, and unfortunately many folks have been doing just that for several years now....
PsychoTrack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto racing is a disappearing sport worldwide. So suggesting that RIS is losing support due to anything they have done is just wrong. RIS must recruit new fans that have as of yet not been fans. It's a simple and well proven analogy. When your product falls into disfavor for whatever reasons then go to where your fans/customers ain't. Former fans are not easily coming back and the identification of future fans has to be nurtured. It's called retail 101. There has been a lot of great ideas mentioned in this thread but I don't think anyone has much faith in creating a generally new fan base. I can guarantee you that without recruiting new fans then whatever the track does is destined for failure. ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: