midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
TCI
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

2019-Things Looking Up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Late_Model_Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: 2019-Things Looking Up? Reply with quote

Got to thinking about our sport in this neck of the woods, maybe thinking is dangerous for me,LOL.

A though came through that it seems things are looking up in 2018 as it seemed to be a decent year in 2018.

Just to name a few, not all, we had in my local area, ECM and Moulton running, with Moulton scheduling a couple of good money SLM shows, 1 that I got to see, ECM looking to have some SLM shows in 2019.

Tri-County down south opening and having by most accounts a very nice year. EAMS doing what EAMS does and racing and staying open. Hollis and Ft Payne racing and doing their thing. Magnolia and Whynot running and doing great things. Good ol' Talladega running our normal stuff and finally having a $10-grander in August. Thunderhill racing and now with new ownership looks good for 2019.

Then we have Boyds, North Georgia, Rome and Dixie rockin' it in Georgia.

The one that really makes me smile is the deal up at North Alabama Speedway, for so long I thought the track would just stay dead and get taken over by the weeds and just be another "ghost track" in our memories. The folks up there took a giant step and brought that bad-a$$ joint to life and taken off with it and kicked some tale. Great ideas in promotion and taking risks, how awesome is it that NAS is racing like it has? Now they have explored the idea of weekly or bi-weekly Supers. maybe some should not sweat the proposed rules for now, we need more and varied opportunities for this class. Any increase for this class is sorely needed in my view.

In closing, I feel things are looking up in 2019, I sure hope so. It is no doubt very challenging for tracks to stay open these days with high costs and getting the folks who "stare endlessly" at their phones to put em' down and come to the track.

Good luck to all speedways in our area for 2019.

Late Model Mark
Late_Model_Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant 2019, nice proof reading on my part,LOL.

LMM Embarassed
Late_Model_Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant 2019, nice proof reading on my part,LOL.

LMM Embarassed
Dawson0610

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything you said, I think super late models might finally be back on the rise.

One question I have for TST and you is why don't y'all have any big super races, like a World of Outlaws or Lucas Oil race?

I understand these can be expensive and am in no way trying to bash what you do down there, I think TST is one of the top tracks in the southeast for sure.
mini_stock_mark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you mark for all your knowledge, know how, and crafty way you use your words. You are my amazing mentor in this world of motorsports. A true legend in my opinion.

P.S. Mark I'm thinking of maybe getting matching shirts made if you would be interested.

mini_stock_mark
racingnut35

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if we can get Pike County Speedway in south ms to open back up that would be awesome. It was bought and slated to be opened back up this year with some work being done to it but now I was told it was back up for sale again.
Late_Model_Mark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawson0610, thanks for the nice comments about TST. It is very true that the costs involved with the WoO and Lucas are very high. There are so many up front costs involved with a big undertaking like those series. This is my view only and I am not speaking for any of the owners of the track. I think that the available dates, and especially the night or nights available, plus the risky cost are a roadblock for us.

Most tracks that have had multiple series races with those 2 for years get priority dates. We would not probably get a date or dates that would fit our tracks season or...weather.

Late Model Mark
NorthAlabama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major problem I see is that tracks are working against each other thus cutting car counts and cutting fan counts. It is against the law for owners/promoters to do certain things if working with each other but they are afraid that the driver will like the other track better and leave for good. Stop setting up dates against each other and let the drivers travel on specials. I've seen LMM get out raged when NAS changed their date to hurt TST car count. Tracks need to start working together for survival, other wise, they will fail due to their own greed, including TST and NAS. But NAS is doing their own thing for their local drivers. These two tracks need to work together to increase the SLM numbers with maybe different rules or start a series together for Alabama, like the crate series that was started among a few tracks.
Late_Model_Mark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the Bama Super Series? I thought that was really cool. So was the SRRS, this stuff changes and fluctuates almost like the South's weather.

Late Model Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: