midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
TCI
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

R.I.P.!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Here we go!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: R.I.P.! Reply with quote

Mr. Greg Hodnett, To the Family, Friends, and Fan's our Heart's and Prayer's are with You! May God Bless You All!
Ben Shelton
Short Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just awful. So very sad.

- Ben
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From his bio page:

1986 - Modified Sportsman "B-Car"

1986 J&J Chassis (standard 86-40, 4-bar car)
Danny's Engines (360 CI steel block, carbureted, flat tappet cam engine)

This car and the team involved with it were very special to me. It was the first race car, of any kind, I drove. My team consisted of family and friends. This was where it all started. My racing career began at the end of 1986. Friday nights I raced at Cottonbowl Speedway in Byhalia, MS and Saturday nights I raced at Riverside Speedway in West Memphis, AR.

The team was started by a close friend of our family, Clayton Allen. Clay originally bought this car to drive for himself. He asked my father, Hoyette Hodnett, Jr. to help with advice on purchases, organization, and general supervision. When my father agreed to help Clay, my involvement in racing began. As we began work on the car, my dad had one condition for myself and Clay. We both had to agree to work on and understand fully how a sprint car was put together and how it works, before we were allowed to drive. This meant Clay and I had to do some work before we could drive, so we enlisted the services of a very talented driver from Memphis - Mike Ward. Mike won 83 out of 86 total races in this car before I started driving it.

You're probably wondering what happened to Clay? Well, Clay raced in a heat on the last race of the 1985 season. On the start of the heat, someone hit the front end of the car and put him into the front stretch wall, destroying the car. Clay didn't have enough money to put it back together. In order for us to continue to race, my dad decided to piece it back together again.

Meanwhile, Mike was doing such a great job driving for us, I never really expected to get an opportunity to drive. Fortunately for me, others saw Mike's talent. He was contacted by Mr. Stan Schoff, and was asked to drive the #23s, in Illinois. When Mike went away to further his career, my career started.

In my first heat at Riverside Speedway, I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing. I finished 6th in the heat. After the heat, my dad said, "It's not going to do you any good to be mad. You'd better figure out how to get the car around the corner. Remember, these cars are built to be driven fast and driven hard. The faster you go, the better they feel." Well, my dad was right, and he usually is. We started 11th and ran second. We would have won if I hadn't run into the leader. I won the next several races, but I also crashed a few.

We had a lot of fun with my first car. It was always fast, no matter who drove it. This car changed my life forever. It kept me out of trouble during my adolescent years, it bonded my family and my friends, it brought a new found confidence to our entire team, and it showed me that what I really love to do was race.
PsychoTrack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the kind of race car story that I just love to read or hear about. Thanks, midge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: