midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
Comp Newsletter
Comp Newsletter
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

jackson international speedway

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Blast From The Past
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelia phillips

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: jackson international speedway Reply with quote

I am looking for information on a race that was held at Jackson International Speedway on Labor Day, September 1, 1969. My father was killed at this race. His name was W J Phillips. My brother was with him and saw it happen. He was only 15 at the time. He never would talk about it, so I know nothing. My brother passed away a few years ago and as far as I know had never talked about this. I have a Nascar newsletter that was in my fathers pocket at the time of the accident. It is only a few pages, I would love to find the complete newsletter. I have no pictures of my father or of his race cars. He died doing something he loved. I have searched and searched and there is no mention of this race every taking place. My brother wrote in a journal about that day. It said a car had blew an engine putting oil on the track, my dad spun out, the flagman threw out the caution flag and dropped it onto the track. so the next cars hit my dad. I am sure there has to be some one out there that was at that race or has heard about it. If anyone new my dad I would love to hear from you,
Mr.RPS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms.Phillips,there is a link that goes to Miss Chicken on this web site those people may be able to help you ma'am
ozcartg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my name is mark ware,I raced with jr. Phillips when we both were young. I was at that race with my father Walter ware. My father said the car was a ford star liner and they had just gotten it ready for the big race they were in. Phillips normally raced a lot on dirt and he raced with two brothers who typically raced beg blocks, often the big 427's.later their children or grandchildren not sure which, raced a mustang with the number 427 at why not raceway. Anyhow,they had just gotten the car ready that evening and something was causing it to be very loose on corner exit. He spun once on exit oh turns 1 and two, several laps later he spun in same area but the very lead pack of cars was right behind him and he wasting dark spot. He was hit in the drivers door at full tilt by two or three off these. I recall that he perished at the time of impact and did not suffer. I was a child but was stunned and in tears at his death though I did not know him. My dad comforted me about it even though he probably doesn't remember it. It was a sad day for racing but was not in vain. Much of the safety equipment etc. that we now use revolves around what we learned from many grievous losses like your fathers. I hope this helps you some
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Blast From The Past All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: